Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Headaches... How to Live Without Them

Most headaches are just that – a headache.  This type of headache, called a primary headache, account for approximately 95% of all headaches.  The remaining 5% of headaches are known as secondary headaches which are essentially warning signals for illness or serious physical problems.  For example, if you ever have a headache that strikes suddenly, is accompanied by numbness, confusion, slurred speech or any other unusual symptom, seek emergency care immediately.

Primary headaches are generally divided into three categories:  tension-type, vascular (including migraine and cluster headaches) and cervicogenic.

Tension-type headaches are by far the most common.  Typically tension-type headache pain is moderate to severe and usually generalized all over the head.

Migraines are severe, throbbing, often one-sided headaches.  These headaches may last anywhere from several minutes to several days.  They are often accompanied by nausea, loss of appetite and even visual changes known as auras.

Cervicogenic headaches are a musculoskeletal form of tension headaches that may related to migraines.  Neck pain and stiffness often accompany these headaches.

Chiropractors are extensively trained to treat many types of ailments, not just back pain.  They realize how tension in the neck and spine can cause or contribute to problems, such as tension-type headaches, migraines or cerviogenic headaches, and can help to relieve those problems.  Many people have found relief with chiropractic treatment for their headaches and have “broken” the headache pill cycle.  Dr. James Thatcher a chiropractor in Colorado Springs, Colorado is highly skilled at diagnosing and treating headaches.  

Thatcher Chiropractic is located at 3535 American Drive near the intersection at Austin Bluffs Parkway and Academy Boulevard in Colorado Springs, Colorado 80917.  For more information you can visit our website at  If you have additional questions or if you would like to schedule an appointment, please contact us by phone.  You can reach us at (719) 574-3700.

No comments:

Post a Comment